COLLECT AND GROW NATIVE TREES SEEDS
FIELD EXCURSION – June 4, 2022
Collect seeds to grow your own trees.
A joint project of Canadensis Botanical Garden Society (CBGS or Canadensis) and the Ottawa Field Naturalist Club (OFNC). This collaborative project is being held to promote the cultivation of Native Trees through the collection and distribution of their seeds and seedlings, and to educate the public.
Sign up to join our second tree seed collection field excursion for 2022, to collect seeds for:
- American Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)
- Kentucky Coffee Tree (Gymnocladus dioicus)
- Highbush Cranberry Viburnum (Viburnum trilobum)
- Winterberry Holly (Ilex verticillata)
- Ohio Buckeye (Aesculus glabra)
- Pussy Willow (Probablement Salix discolor)
- Gather germinating seeds – targeting Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum)
- Others to be confirmed
Excursion Leader: Owen Clarkin, Ottawa Field Naturalist Club
Collect seeds to grow your own trees. We ask that excess seeds which you collect be voluntarily donated to Canadensis for our planned Native Tree Gardens at the Canadensis site.
Date: Saturday June 4th at 9:30 AM. Registrants will be kept informed of any changes due to weather
Departing location: From the Red Barn at the Canadensis location on Prince of Wales Drive.
What to bring:
You must have a vehicle or be prepared to car pool.
Suitable footwear for muddy terrain.
Cost: Choice of two options:
1) $20 to cover:
- Participation in the excursion
- Written instructions on what to do with the seeds
- Materials needed for planting seeds
- Participation in workshop on planting collected seeds, which will be held at Canadensis Native Tree garden
- Ongoing support when planting your own seeds at home or wherever they choose
2) Free: if you have everything you need to grow your seeds at home. (Donations are welcome)
HOW TO REGISTER:
- To register, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE REGISTER EARLY – SPACE WILL BE LIMITED – REGISTRATION ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVED BASIS
For questions, please email: email@example.com
If you want seeds, but are not available for the excursion, please email us.